Friday, September 28, 2012

Blog Post 5

IMG_0794

The iPhone Initiative

In this video, Travis Allen argues that the iPhone initiative is the solution to the American education crisis. I agree in some aspects of his argument. In other aspects I feel that it is not.

The iPhone initiative would save money and time. It would be the most familiar method  to students being that they are millenial. ( People born after the year of 1980 and have never experienced life without technology or personal computers.) As a result of that, it would also probably be the most preferred method of learning by the students.These are all valid points.

On the other side of the argument, I would have to question the effectiveness of this method. I believe that all kids can learn! However, all kids are not the same! Many of them learn material in many different ways. Some of them may perform better using the iPhone initiative. Others may perform better with the traditional pencil and paper method. I think personally, we need to find a way to get on even ground. Technology similar to the iPhone initiative, I feel is necessary  in the classroom to a certain extent. Nevertheless, I do not think we should do away with all of the traditional methods and depend on it alone for educating.

 Virtual Choir

I was really impressed with the assembling of the virtual choir through technology. It was a very good use of the internet. I always had an idea that a performance similar to this one could be achieved through technology but I never knew how it was going to be done. As technology advances, I will be looking forward to seeing more performances similar to this one. I also plan to obtain more details about them by researching the production process.

Teaching in the 21st Century

Mr. Roberts feel that teaching in the 21st century revolves around technology. He is correct. What I confirmed from this video is that I need to be technology efficient. However, I still think some classes, courses, lessons, and etc. are taught better hands on. Examples include Physical Education, Health Education, Literature and etc. The reason I listed Physical education is because it is the education of, about, and through the physical. Videos that experts of physical fitness provide are beneficial but I think personally to start  to become physical fit or physical educated you have to have that hands on training or knowledge first hand. I feel the same way about Health Education . The only other suggestion I would like to make in reference to Health Education is that it is more of a personal process. The six components of Health : are Physical, Mental, Social, Spiritual, Emotional, and Environmental. I like the website journals that are provided through technology. (Some examples are myplate.gov and mypyramid.gov.) However, they only provide a certain amount of information. That brings me to Literature. Literature is the art of written work and can, in some circumstances, refer exclusively to published sources. It is also presented in many different ways. As a result, some of it requires interpretation methods and sometime an interpreter. Google, WikiPedia, Opposing viewpoint are all vital and beneficial technology resources. I enjoy using them! Nevertheless, you can only get a certain amount of information and sometime the information  is not reliable.The poetry side of Literature  also requires interpretation. People in general interpret or understand material in many different ways. For example, how I understand something may not be the same way someone else understand it. That is where the interpreter comes in. Can I use technology or the internet as a quality,reliable resource  to solve that problem?  There is where I stand in teaching in the 21st century.


Flipping the classroom

Flipping the classroom is defined, by Ms. Munafo, as an innovative approach to classroom instructing that allows direct instruction to take place at home. She explains in further detail how this approach leads to better preparation and saves time for applying learning skills. Ms. Katie Gimbar explains why she flipped her classroom in her video. She gave examples on how it has changed her approach in addressing her class. This approach if used correctly can lead to effective educating. I could see myself using this technique because it identifies the need of the student.




3 comments:

  1. I think You had a great post.

    In the paragraph on the iphone initiative I would have to say i agree with you on some points. I too believe that we must try to adapt to this change in technology. I agree with you when you said we can use the iphone initiative but we cant just throw away tradition learning.

    In your paragraph on the virtual choir i think you should have summarized the video more to give the readers more of a background on the video.

    Overall I think you had a good post, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful. Interesting. I believe everything is learning is learned only by doing it. Everything! Watching is not the equivalent of learning. The flipped classroom provides more time for supervised practice. That is a major benefit as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your post. I think you have very good points.
    When you said, "Nevertheless, I do not think we should do away with all of the traditional methods and depend on it alone for educating."
    I completely agree with that, I feel like we do need to keep some of the traditional methods and not get completely away from teaching straight from the chalk board.

    I also agree with this sentence, "However, I still think some classes, courses, lessons, and etc. are taught better hands on. Examples include Physical Education, Health Education, Literature and etc. The reason I listed Physical education is because it is the education of, about, and through the physical."

    To me its nuts that kids are being taught physical education online. That does not help our state at all, we are the 2nd fattest state in the US. Our kids need the physical activity and to me the internet would not do it beneficial.

    I think me and you agree on many points, great post!

    ReplyDelete