Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blog Post 3

What is peer editing? 

In the peer-editing video I was informed thoroughly on the process of peer-editing. I was introduce to peer-editing in the six-grade, but I never really understood the process. At that time, I thought peer-editing was just grading one of your classmate papers or writing what you thought about it. Basically, what I mean is doing what you wanted to do regardless what guidelines required.

student peer-reviewing
As I got older, I understood it a little bit better. I was re-introduce to it once in high school, ninth grade, and again in college in my freshmen year. I still did not know exactly what peer-editing was. What is peer-editing explains in a way to the extent anybody could understand it. I know now exactly what is peer-editing , working with some one your own age to help improve his/her writing. I know the three steps of peer-editing, 1. Complimenting, 2. Suggesting, 3. Correcting. Last but not least, I know the golden rules of peer-editing 1. Stay positive, 2. Be specific, 3. Complete all three steps. 

Technology in Special Education.

As I watched the video on Technology in Special Education I was amazed. First, I would like to congratulate        the first person who install technology in special education classrooms. I never thought that technology would have made it to the special ed. classroom at this present time. The first reason why is because of some of the severe disabilities that some of the kids have. I thought many educators would not have been willing to work with them with using technology. The other reason why is that I thought it would have got a negative reaction from the students when it was presented to them. My assumptions was wrong! I never would have expected to get this much excitement from both sides. The educators are excited as well as the students.
technology in special ed.
This new form of learning has been more interesting and more effective than the old traditional way of educating. Some of the students commented on the technology and explain how  it has made it easier for them to learn. The ones I think are benefiting the most are the visual learners and the non-verbal students. Reason why is that visual learners can see things better and the non-verbal students finally have a way to express themselves. Overall, it is empowering the students and I am looking forward to see the next level it will take the students in the future.

How the ipad works with Academics for Autism
app for teaching

The app I would probably use for my classroom would be the Alphabet App. I would use it for language development for non-verbal students and for the ones who are having trouble communicating. I have had that   experience personally. I can imagine what they are going through. For an example, how you want to express yourself but do not have the proper mechanics to perform that task. I think the alphabet app would be vital for scenarios similar to this one. It would help the student communicate, which would lead to efficient educating. It would also give the students a sense of acceptance without any sort of discouragement.

Harness Your Students Digital Smarts

In Vicki Davis Video I think she is making the learning environment comfortable for the students. I love her comment "every child can learn." I think she has found the way to do just that with the use of technology.
As she has made them comfortable in the learning environment and the overall learning process they have become willing to learn. They are maximizing their potential to the fullest extent. That is what educating should be about. Another observation that I got from the video is that she is taking them on an experience of a life time. Majority of the students are from the southern Georgia region. With the exception of the trip they had with her, they have probably not been out the state of Georgia. She have allowed them to learn and experience trends with different people throughout the world. That in itself is exciting and empowering for students and she did it all through intellectual technology.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Samuel,

    I think you are the second person I have seen that picked the Alaphabytes app. I need to check that one out!

    I found a few mistakes in your post. This is what you said: "I think she have found the way to do just that with the use of technology." Instead of saying have found, you should say; has found.

    Great job on your pictures and links!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete